By far one of the most commonly asked questions I get is, "What's in there?", in regard to my smoothies. Well, here's a secret, if you see me drinking a smoothie, there's at least 2 cups of veggies in it... and it tastes great!
Green smoothies are a quick and easy way to get large amounts of good, leafy greens into your diet and give your body the great nutrients it craves! These leafy greens, along with a blend of fresh or frozen fruit, delivers a potent, delicious punch and is so easy to make.
SO, WHAT EXACTLY IS IN THERE?!
When drinking a green, or sludge-y, looking smoothie, this is the first question I get... and it is understandable! It might seem bizarre at first, but with a quality base and blend of leafy greens + fruit + liquid, you'll be a fan (and getting more greens!) in no time.
Dark, leafy greens contain high quality amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that support your immune system, your overall health, and your beauty from the inside out. Personally, I used to not like leafy greens or vegetables at all. I started to drink green smoothies about 5 years ago, and I completely credit these smoothies for helping me develop a love for ALL vegetables (and helping my skin, health, and fitness in return!). If green smoothies can do all of that for me, they can probably help you too!
WHY I LOVE GREEN SMOOTHIES:
1. Natural energy booster: Getting so many nutrients and good, natural sugars from fruits add some pep to your step in the morning and all day!
2. Natural weight loss: One good habit creates more good habits. Getting fit can be a nice side effect of adding green smoothies to your diet. If you have it instead of a typical breakfast, make sure to add healthy fats and protein to make it a more complete meal.
3. Stay healthy all-year-long: I've noticed I get less sick when gulping green smoothies. Kale and spinach carry Vitamin C and other nutrients in large doses, so getting a continual supply can boost your immune system.
4. Packed with disease-fighting antioxidants: The phytonutrients in leafy greens boost your body’s immune system and keep it functioning properly.
5. THE BEST fast food:
It is so quick to whip up a green smoothie and they're so easy to take on the go or freeze for later. Green smoothies have saved me from making unhealthy choices on the road soooo many times in the last few years. Why pick up gas station Chex Mix or an unhealthy Starbucks latte when I have a nutritional boost that tastes delicious and gives me great natural energy?!
GREEN SMOOTHIE BLENDING TIPS:
1. Tightly pack 2 cups of leafy greens in a measuring cup and then toss into blender. 2. Add 2 cups of water and blend together until all leafy chunks are gone. 3. Add 2 cups of fruit (you may need to add more at first to get used to the green taste!) and blend again until smooth. 4. Drink, gulp, or sip and feel the glow from the inside out!
THE BEST FORMULA:
2-3 Cups Leafy Greens
- Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Collards, any other dark green, leafy vegefable
2-3 Cups Fruit
- Banana, berries, cherries, mango, avocado, apple, pear, etc.
- I add 1 cup these days because I enjoy the green taste, but you may need to start with more to disguise "green taste"
- Be careful to not add too much fruit. Your smoothie can go from a healthy snack or meal, to a sugar and calorie bomb pretty quickly!
2 Cups Liquid Base
- Water, Coconut Milk, Almond Milk, Coconut water
- Avoid standard fruit juices - these pack a serious sugar punch and little to no nutritional value
Photography & Graphics by The Sampson House